Okay, so I can’t take credit for this one. I’d like to, because it’s genius… but I can’t. I stumbled across this gem at PaleOMG, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite foodie websites. Everything I’ve tried from this website is absolutely delicious and very little needs to be adapted to suit my tastes. I saw this lasagna recipe a couple of weeks ago and, while I wasn’t exactly charmed by the picture that was posted, I bookmarked it to try when I had the chance. I don’t know what took me so long. Turns out, the photograph at PaleOMG isn’t charming because breakfast lasagna is really difficult to make look good in a picture. My photo isn’t all that charming either. But trust me: this dish is amazing. I’ll be having it for breakfast all week, but it would be great to tote with you to brunch or even a picnic. The best part? It can be prepped and assembled ahead of time. Just bake it before your party (or breakfast… whatever) gets going and you’ll be good to go! There are two options for serving below, depending on if you are feeding yourself or a crowd.
1 sweet potato, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 lb. chorizo sausage
1 container cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Walla Walla sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/3 c. coconut milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or fat of choice)
Salt & pepper to taste
For each serving: 1 egg and hot sauce
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Pull out two skillets and place both over medium heat. In one, add chorizo sausage and cook for 15 or so minutes. In the other, add coconut oil and onions – salt and pepper the onions and caramel them for 8-10 minutes. When onions are browned, add mushrooms and cover until mushrooms are cooked through.
3) In a bowl, whisk coconut milk with garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper.
4) Line an 8×8 baking dish with a layer of thinly sliced sweet potato.
5) When meat and onion mixture are done cooking, begin to layer your lasagna. Start with a scoop of onion mixture on top of first layer of sweet potatoes, then place a scoop of meat across the onion layer. Repeat until you are out of ingredients: sweet potato, onion mixture, meat… etc.
6) Pour coconut milk mixture over lasagna. Season the top with salt and pepper before covering with either a lid or aluminum foil and popping the dish into the oven.
7) Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are cooked completely. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Two options for serving!
1) Individual portions all week long: each time you dish up, whisk one egg in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke it for 1 minute 15 seconds. Reheat lasagna for 45 seconds, depending on portion size. Place egg on top of reheated lasagna with hot sauce and enjoy!
2) Serve for a crowd: while lasagna cools, place a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. In a bowl, whisk 6 eggs together. Pour whisked eggs into heated skillet to make scrambled eggs. After 5 or so minutes, remove eggs from skillet and place on top of the lasagna. Don’t forget to share with your friends!
Prep time:15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6 people